Thought of the Week

Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. Albert Einstein

Monday, April 14, 2014

Birthday Present

Happy Monday morning everyone!  I hope you found time for some fun and enjoyable activities over the weekend.
I had another great weekend of teaching some marvelous classes with awesome people.  They all did an outstanding job even if they didn't think they did.  I think we are all very critical of our own work and at times fail to step back and see the great works we actually create.  I always try and remind my students, it's just paper and ink, and no one has to see it if you don't want to show them.  There are times when my trash can in my craft room is just filled to the brim with coloring I didn't like or with new techniques I'm trying that there is no salvaging!  It happens to everyone and no matter how great you think someone's else work is, we all started in the same place. We all had the very first time we picked up a marker or a pencil or a pen or whatever tool it may be.  If you just persevere, you will find yourself in a better spot than when you started:)

Now having said all of that...here is my card for today using one of the new Whimsy Stamp rubber stamps
This chica is one of the new stamps from Jo Davies (A Time for Tea) called Birthday Present.  I probably should've made an indoor scene for her, but hey, I guess she is walking to the party this time!  What I really wanted to play with was some marker coloring on watercolor paper and doing the background with Inktense pencils and Opaque white paint.  I see all kinds of room for improvement and oh I definitely need some more practice with the Inktense pencils.  However, it was fun to play around on the watercolor paper to see how the markers would react and how far the ink travels versus my regular Riley and Borden marker paper.  I definitely had to think more about how close I was putting the ink to the lines than I normally do, but by the end I kind of got the hang of it.
Most of the image was colored with with alcohol based markers (Shin Han and Copics) and then touches of wink of stella.

Thanks for swinging by today and enjoy the rest of your week!

10 comments:

Doris said...

Super fun card.Very nicely.
Greetings Do

Doris said...

Super fun card.Very nicely.
Greetings Do

Doris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stamps and Paper said...

Love your gorgeous colourful card and great image

Anne

Pia S said...

I think this is a great outdoors scene, so beautifully done! Love the little pinwheel details too, cute!

Sue said...

Gorgeous card Shelby. I love the pretty image and your colouring is stunning.
hugs Sue xx

Teresa Arsenault said...

Oh, I really love that background. You did a great job.

Linda Palmer said...

Shelby, as always, this is gorgeous. Love all your work.

mags said...

A lovely card Shelby and the image is coloured beautifully.
Mags
x

Stamping With Bibiana said...

wonderful coloring
bibiana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Site Design by Designer Blogs